Friday, January 30, 2009

#3 - Techno-naughty Blogs

I have a bad feeling this post is going to be long and boring. Let me see what I can do to make it better for the both of us.

Geekdad - Science/Technology

This "blog" is just a part of Wired which is a magazine
dedicated, more or less, to catering current events to the technologically literate crowd. As this site is under Wired's control it has the same look and layout of the rest of Wired: minimalist without being too dull. The blog is pretty self explanatory; the author's a geek and a dad so his posts are mostly about combining the two. The content of the posts are fairly long similar to other news articles online, the pictures are normally amusing, and there is an audience, just no commenters. If I had more time and patience, I'm sure I would enjoy his blog since it has a feel of informal news from a simple geeky enthusiast.

Hot Air - News/Politics

This site is dedicated to vloging and right
-wing reporting. The layout consists of headlines at the top (always a good place to put the new and important stuff) and the rest are videos with a few words of description in the titles. You won't find any lengthy news stories here despite it being under the News category. The videos, for all intents and purposes, have replaced actual written journalism which sets is apart from other news sites. This site is especially useful because it's an aggregation of filmed news from credible sources, you watch rather than read allowing the opportunity to multitask if you so wish, and it's easy to navigate since everything you need is right on the front page.

I don't know, what do YOU want to eat? - Lifestyle

No pictures, just recipes. That's about it. Not that uber simplicity is a bad thing but it does tend to limit readership. The posts seem to be submitted regularly, they have a little tid-bit about the dish before describing
how to make it, and it's well organized by the type of dish. Even though the authors sometimes include their opinions about the dish, they aren't food critics so credibility for this blog is immaterial. Basically, it's an online recipe book with a few side comments.

Perez Hilton - Arts/Entertainment
Ah yes,
"Arts/Entertainment:" the potpourri category. What can I say about Perez Hilton? It's a "gay" blog in more ways than one. Big photos with MSPaint notes drawn on them, short descriptions for the get-to-the-point readers, and a hub for celebrity gossip. The layout reminds me of those teen magazines like Seventeen or CosmoGirl only more provocative and in blog form. The side bars are a little cluttered but if you know where to look then you'll discover that this blog is organized well with a "starseeker" option to search for posts on selected celebrities. I can't say that I don't like the blog, in fact it's quite amusing. The credibility is questionable as it is a gossip blog but the stories aren't all that far from the truth either. I like this blog for it's ferocious bite-sized updates on famous people.

I hope I didn't turn you away with this post. I did my best to condense.

No comments:

Post a Comment